10 reasons why we cannot imagine a world without books.
1. - Reading relieves boredom and tedium.
2. - Reading gives us a better understanding of the world and makes us look at ourselves from new perspectives.
3. - Reading fills us with words; it allows us to express ideas that we never would have thought that we could formulate.
4. - Reading is an escape, it takes us away from the world and from ourselves, while at the same time bringing us ever closer to what we really are.
5. - Reading allows us to meet other people, distant in space and time.
6. - Reading improves our imagination and reasoning, it makes us critical and free.
7. - Reading reunites us with our ancestors and allows us to talk to them.
8. - Reading makes us reflect, it makes us contradict ourselves and doubt, in a society that rarely allows us to do this; reading is a strength.
9. - Reading allows us to see all of the hidden, invisible and concealed things in the world that we are not used to seeing.
10. - Reading allows us to take refuge from ourselves while at the same time letting us reconcile ourselves with what we are.
Illustrations by Soizick Meister.